Welcome to the Coal Research Forum
Coal research is, once again, a hot topic. Coal is recognised worldwide as an essential component of the energy mix required for modern life styles, because it provides a widely-distributed, secure and reliable source of energy that is relatively easy to obtain. Clean coal technology is the order of the day, with particular attention being paid to carbon capture and storage in view of global warming and carbon dioxide emissions from coal usage.
It is in the context of the challenges associated with coal utilisation in the UK that the Coal Research Forum acts as a focal point, providing a means of communication between industry, universities and policy-makers. Our technical divisions organise meetings on a wide variety of current issues throughout the year. We hold an annual meeting to report on the activities of the Forum and provide an update on current policies and funding opportunities, and our biennial conference on 'Coal Research and its Applications' has become an established international event. We gather and publicise information through a variety of documents and keep our members informed of coal-related news through three issues of the CRF Newsletter each year.
Our three main aims are:
- To provide a forum for the exchange of information between technology providers and key stakeholders.
- To support the utilisation of coal in the UK as a secure primary source of energy, and,
- To promote UK research and expertise on the utilisation of coal, biomass and other fossil fuels in the UK and to a worldwide audience.
We work to achieve these aims by:
- To contribute to and encourage the development of a national policy for research on coal, biomass and other fossil fuels in the UK.
- To promote coal and energy research, (including biomass and other fossil fuels), regarding funding bodies.
- To encourage and promote the submission of proposals on coal research.
- To record successful applications for funds for UK coal research.
- To encourage the dissemination and exchange of information on coal, biomass and other fossil fuels research.
- To further develop the co-ordination of coal, biomass and other fossil fuels research activities through interchange between coal research groups and others.
- To publicise the achievements and successes of coal research in the United Kingdom.
Please email the Secretary, David McCaffrey (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further information.
The Coal Research Forum
PO Box 154
Tel: 01242 236973
Fax: 01242 516672
You are invited to join the CRF - click here for further details